LD41. The theme was "Combine 2 Incompatible Genres".
Given the theme I felt it was only logical to try and mix Super Mario with shooter elements to try to answer the following question: what happens if Mario had a machine gun?
The great music is “Demented Mario” by gruber_music and the platforming code (and Mario sprites!) is based on the excellent work by matthughson - see the advanced micro platformer thread at the pico8 bbs.
Original idea was made in a few hours on the last day of the jam due to other commitments, but I since added the functionality I had in mind.
I took some inspiration from GTA and also added some achievements to reward different types of play:
- complete the game as classic Mario
- complete the game without killing anything
- complete the game with all 35 coins and 6 machine guns (note: you can continue playing after the final pipe)
- complete the game with 5 “wanted” stars
- complete the game in less than 25 seconds
Arrows to move, Z (or C or N) to jump, X (or V or M) to run and shoot.
Apologies to Mr Miyamoto.